Statement for Life Care Center of Tullahoma: On Jan. 20, a roof air conditioning unit above the dietary department started smoking and caught on fire. The fire department was immediately called, and associates sprang into action, following their fire safety training.
Fourteen residents in the unit closest to the fire were evacuated out of precaution and safely moved to another location within the facility. The fire departments responded quickly, put out the fire, and gave the all-clear.
Residents were assessed for signs of distress and smoke inhalation; thankfully, no injuries or concerns were noted.
The evacuated residents were moved to open beds on other units until water removal occurs and damage to the area is assessed and fixed.
During this period, the Dietary department will work out of another available kitchen in the building.
All appropriate authorities have been notified, and the clean-up process has already begun.
Alex Butaud, Executive Director, stated, “We are committed to the safety and well-being of our residents. “We are grateful for the compassion and professionalism displayed by our staff as they swiftly jumped into action and took skillful steps to protect our residents and to ensure everyone stayed calm and comfortable throughout the event. “We are also thankful for the quick response of our local fire personnel, EMS, and hospital associates. “We appreciate their bravery and expertise in everything they do daily to support us, protect our building, and keep our residents and associates safe.”