Nearly 300,000 Tennesseans who enrolled in Medicaid during the COVID-19 pandemic are expected to lose their coverage this year now that state officials are once again allowed to bump people from the government-funded health insurance program.
A spokesperson for TennCare, the state’s Medicaid program, said this week that no removals will occur until April 1. However, she said in an email that the “redetermination process” will begin in March.
Across the U.S., state officials are preparing to comb through their Medicaid rolls after Congress agreed late last year to sunset a COVID-19 public health emergency requirement that prohibited states from booting people off Medicaid.
As a result, millions are expected to be removed from the program.